Tinc: tap0 probs

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Tue May 1 12:58:30 CEST 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 03:57:25AM +0000, cuBe wrote:

> Having some probs with setting up tap0:
>
> aibo:~# ifconfig tap0 hw ether fe:fd:00:00:00:00
> SIOCSIFHWADDR: No such device
>
> Now, I;ve checked everthing, and it all seems in order. I have compiled in
> theUniversal TAP/TUN support, and Netlink (including CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV),
> but to no avil, that error always comes up. Any chance you could help me?

If you are using the recent 2.4 kernels, you can't use tap0 anymore. tap0 is
the device name used by the ethertap module. The tun/tap driver in 2.4 uses a
different way. If you start tinc in this way:

tincd -n netname

Then you will be able to set up the interface AFTER you started tincd with the
following command:

ifconfig netname 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Substitute your own values ofcourse. You can put two scripts in
/etc/tinc/netname/, one called tinc-up and one called tinc-down. They are ran
whenever tinc has started and whenever it is about to shut down respectively.
You can put your ifconfig commands in those scripts. You can also use the
environment variable $NETNAME in your scripts, which is set to the netname you
use.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/