Tinc behind firewall?

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Thu Mar 8 12:17:46 CET 2001

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 11:51:53AM +0100, Marcel Loesberg wrote:

> I'm going to build a VPN and I want to use either Tinc or FreeS/WAN.
> I've started building the VPN with FreeS/WAN and I find things are getting
> rather complicated.
> I looks like Tinc is much easier to configure but in the FAQ and in what I've
> seen of the documentation so far there is no mention of using Tinc from
> behind a firewall.
> Can it be done? Can the Tinc server be behind my corporate firewall?
> If this is possible then I should use Tinc and dump FreeS/WAN :)

Yes, it can be done. You have a number of options:

- install tinc on the firewall (easiest, most practical)

- either allow UDP packets on port 655 to go through the firewall, and install
  tinc on a machine behind the firewall

- use the TcpOnly mode (available in tinc 1.0pre2), and install tinc on a
  machine behind the firewall. The other tinc daemon however must be
  reachable, so you can't have both behind a firewall if they do masquerading.

We hope to get TcpOnly back in pre4.

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/