[CVS] humbolt:/tinc/cabal/src net.c netutl.c protocol.c

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Tue Jun 27 11:19:23 CEST 2000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Axel Müller wrote:

> Hmmm ... I can't prove that using the CVS code I checked out this morning.
> Everything works like yesterday: I can ping the peer but I canot go beyond:

> *** CLIENT routing table ***
> root at pcamueller:/home/amueller/workspace.tinc/tinc/cabal > netstat -rn
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
> Iface
> 212.79.58.20    192.168.9.1     255.255.255.255 UGH       0 0          0
> tap0

Well, that isn't going to work. Tinc absolutely doesn't know anything
about your real IP addresses, and therefore doesn't know where to send
them to, as can be seen from:

> Jun 27 09:10:33 pcamueller tinc[28155]: Trying to look up 212.79.58.20 in
> connection list failed!

Tinc will only route packets if the destination IP matches one of the
MyOwnVPNIP lines in other tincd's tinc.conf files. There is a dirty hack
that might even work in your case, and that is setting the server's
MyOwnVPNIP to 0.0.0.0/0.

Furthermore, adding a gateway for an interface that doesn't do ARP
(ethertap devices normally don't) is quite meaningless.

> *** CLIENT tinc.conf ***
> MyOwnVPNIP = 192.168.9.99/24

> *** SERVER tinc.conf ***
> MyOwnVPNIP = 192.168.9.1/24

That is certainly very bad! Those subnets overlap! No wonder things don't
work. I think you need to clean up some things first :)!

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/

-