Letting linux be the router, allowing dynamic routes, suggestion

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at m2j.com.br
Tue May 12 21:27:10 CEST 2015

No, this would in fact operate as a routing mode instead of bridging.
TAP would be used as a means to push routing to where it belongs, the
linux/bsd/... kernel.
Consider the challenge of having completely dynamic routing between vpn
peers. In one minute I might have 10000 routes towards one specific peer,
and hour latter I might have NONE. And I need to diferentiate each peer at
the kernel routing layer.
And no, it can't be a pure bridge, it has to be L3 routing.
TAP is just to use the ethernet layer to multiplex/demultiplex each layer.
Consider how ethernet works.
How would linux/bsd routing works if we had 10 routers on the same subnet,
obviously each with a separate IP on that same subnet.
Now instead of having that physical ethernet wire, that wire is now 10 vpn
peers connected via the internet.
Consider that in that scenario each router have other ethernet interfaces,
but its ROUTING between the common ethernet interface and the remote ones.
Its not a BRIDGE between multiple ethernets.