Strange tinc behavior on OSX Yosemite

Vladimir "Equidamoid" Shapranov equidamoid at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 16:56:07 CEST 2015

Hi,

I have already working set of tinc nodes and tried to add one more machine,
mac mini with osx yosemite onboard.
Tincd starts and connects to other nodes as supposed but I can't connect to
mini from any of other nodes. When I try to use ssh the following lines
appears repeatedly in mini's logs along with the regular logs about making
connections and MTU probes:

> Got PACKET from gullinbursti (<white_ip> port 766): 17 78
> Received packet of 78 bytes from gullinbursti (<white_ip> port 766)
> Writing packet of 78 bytes to Generic BSD tap device

When I try to ping:
> Got PACKET from gullinbursti (<white_ip> port 766): 17 98
> Received packet of 98 bytes from gullinbursti (<white_ip> port 766)
> Writing packet of 98 bytes to Generic BSD tap device

But once I send any packet from the mini through the VPN (like ping or tcp
connect attempt to any otner node) everything just starts to work as
intended.

Looks like some issue in tuntaposx that prevents the interface from work
until a packet is sent to it.

I use tinc-1.0.21 and the following config: