MTU issue when using GRE over tinc

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Tue Dec 10 11:13:03 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 01:51:14PM +0400, Michael Tokarev wrote:

> One _possible_ explanation might be on the tinc side actually - the fact that
> it sends ICMP "error" replies "from" the destination address.  That's no more
> than a rumor, -- I heard that "some" routers dislike this.

Hm, but why shouldn't the destination not be allowed to send such an ICMP error
back?

Anyway, other solutions would be to have tinc special case GRE packets and
forward them via TCP if they are too big, or to go deeper and send back an ICMP
packet from inside the GRE tunnel. But I don't like either, and the problem is
really with GRE not dealing with MTU issues at all.