PMTU Discovery Question

Daniel Schall Daniel-Schall at web.de
Fri Nov 26 08:19:10 CET 2010

Hi Guus,

while checking the source code, I stumbled upon PMTU Discovery.

I've got a question regarding the process of sending/receiving PMTU packets.

As I understand, the packet flow is like this:

1 .Tinc creates a packet with a specific payload length to send it as an
PMTU probe.

                (The data part is just some random bytes.)

2. This packet gets compressed and sent over UDP.

3. The packet is received from the other node and gets decompressed.

4. The uncompressed length of the packet is taken as MTU value.

My question is, whether it is reasonable to compress a PMTU packet, since
the payload length, that gets transferred over the wire changes.

In my opinion, tinc must not compress the PMTU packet to keep the original
length as desired for probing.

Best,

Daniel

PS: As you may have noticed, I am still developing the multicast/local part.

As soon as I've fixed the errors, I'll try to merge my changes with your
most recent git version.