tinc for iphone & ipod touch

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Jun 21 20:57:12 CEST 2010

On Wed, Sep 09, 2009 at 10:45:03PM +0530, Grzegorz Dymarek wrote:

> I've managed to create a tinc build for IPhone and IPod touch. Since the
> device does not support TUN interface, TUNEMU was used:
> http://code.gerade.org/tunemu/
> Please find the patch in the attachment (to be used with tinc-1.0.9).

This code was merged with tinc in 1.0.10. However, I just saw this message on
the OpenVPN mailing list:

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 11:20:37AM +0530, Samir Kelekar wrote:

> Please check out http://www.iopenvpn.com for
> another solution (again hackerish) to run openvpn
> on iphone.
>
> Here the default route is changed to go on the loopback, packets sent on the
> loopback, then captured via a sniffer,
> encrypted and sent. No need of a kernel driver
> to be installed.

There is code in tinc to sniff packets from an existing interface using a "raw
socket". I have not tested this on BSD yet. After running ./configure, you can
do this:

ln -sf raw_socket/device.c src/device.c

And then run make. You can then put "Interface = lo" in tinc-up, and it will
then indeed pick up packets routed to the loopback device.