AW: Windows to Linux - ping-bug?

Florian Lagg florian at lagg.at
Mon May 14 12:21:30 CEST 2007

> > I have encountered a bug using tincd with Microsoft Windows:
> >
> > Below you'll find my Setup and my Logs.
> > In short, i do the following:
> > 1. office running tincd 1.0.7 and waiting for connections (no
> > ConnectTo, but this does not resolve the issue) 2. the supporter
> > starts up tincd 1.0.7 on windows (native) 3. ping from windows
> > ("support") to the office:
> > Here the error occours: the supporter get's ping timeouts
> >
> > possible Workaround:
> > If i start an ping from Linux (office) to the Windows-host (support)
> > the ping in the other direction (ad 3.) starts working. If there is
> > more then one node the Windows-host connects to there must be an
> > initial ping from every node!
>
> This is probably caused by NAT. You'd either have to enable explicit
> port forwarding of UDP port 655, or use the TCPOnly option to make all
> VPN traffic go via TCP.

TCP should be somewhat slower - so i don't like this option.

For UDP i have one more question:
Thanks for your quick answer.
I explicit forward TCP+UDP 655 from wan (office) to the supporter's laptop.
The traffic from inside the supporter's network is routed without
limitation.
Isn't that enough? Must I have an additional port forward from inside the
supporters network even if there is no blocking router? Why is it working
after one ping (so the connection should be OK)?

Only the supporter has an ConnectTo in the configs...
As only the supporter connects to the office - why do I have to explictly
configure the supporters firewall (which is completly open from LAN to WAN)?
I think I have an misunderstanding here - could someone help me out?

Thanks,
Florian lagg (http://www.lagg.at)