packet default route

Ashwin Ganti ashwin.ganti at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 21:22:18 CEST 2007

Hi All,

I have two queries to be clarified. Any response would be appreciated.

1. If I setup a default route to a particular network to go to the tun
device which in turn is picked up by the tinc daemon how does the
subsequent UDP/TCP connection made by the tinc daemon to the peer
daemon go through the network to the other end and not go to the local
tun device again ( by the virtue of the default route that we setup
earlier ).I am curious how tinc handles this.

2. If a default is route is set up in such a way that all the packets
can be intercepted by the tinc, then how does tinc handle the case of
an individual packet being forwarded to a particular host. Would the
setup be bypassed in that case.Once we setup the network so that *all*
the packets being sent out or being received _should_ go through the
daemon ( iptables etc.) would there be any case where this setup is
not used.

Thanks
Ashwin Ganti.

make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the
deficiencies." -- C.A.R. Hoare, The 1980 ACM Turing Award Lecture
www.cs.uic.edu/~aganti