Combining Tinc and Cspace

Guus Sliepen guus at tinc-vpn.org
Mon Apr 2 16:05:10 CEST 2007

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 10:29:18AM +0200, Christian Cier-Zniewski wrote:

> a question to the developers:
> Does it make sense to try to integrate Tinc with Cspace to provide an
> open-source alternative to Hamachi?
> http://cspace.in/
> I have not studied any Tinc source code yet.
>
> Comments?

I don't think it makes sense to integrate them together; CSpace is
written in python, tinc in C. CSpace only offers TCP-like connections,
this is bad for performance of VPNs, which are better served with
UDP-like connections. CSpace depends on OpenSSL, while I want to move to
GNUTLS because of its more flexible authentication methods and the fact
that it is LGPLed.

That said, CSpace does implement a lot of functionality that is also
implemented in tinc or that tinc could benefit from. So I should keep an
eye on CSpace and try to port the good things from it to tinc 2.0. I had
not heard about CSpace before, so it's good that you brought it to my
attention :)