Finding the right interface on FreeBSD

Gaël Roualland gael.roualland at dial.oleane.com
Thu Jun 1 20:54:43 CEST 2006

Hello,

>> The code in tinc for BSD device has no way to handle the fact that
>> several tun devices are already used., since it always try to open the
>> specified device which might already be in use.
>>
>> The following patch makes it try to open the various available tun
>> devices before giving up.
> [...]
>
> Why not just change your Device entry in tinc.conf to point to a free
> tun device?

I tried that indeed, buf for some reason, some devices stay busy after
being used (eg if tinc crashes, cf my other report).
I have not investigated this a great length (could be a freebsd bug
instead perhaps) but I found it usefull that tinc could try to find an
inetrface on its own, just like it does on Linux for instance.
(eg, this allows one to run several instances of tinc without specific
configuration).
I can understand however that it might not be wanted on setups where
tinc has to bind to a very specific interface, so maybe there needs to
be a way to turn it on or off ?

Gaël Roualland -+- gael.roualland at dial.oleane.com