an other usage example

Florian Reitmeir lists at reitmeir.org
Thu Jan 20 18:15:25 CET 2005

Hi,

i heard many things about tinc, good and not so good :-), so i tried for
myself.

First, we use here a larger vpn (about 30 subnets) at time with OpenVPN.
OpenVPN only supports PointToPoint connections so the setup is complex. Many
transport Networks, many routes.

The examples from your Webpage are nice, but i think a nicer way to use the
strengh of tinc is:

We define a Subnet where all routers are, for example:
	172.120.121.0/24

With tinc its now easy to configure this on every router, so all
routers are fully connected.

Router A gets, 172.120.121.1
Router B gets, 172.120.121.2
Router C gets, 172.120.121.3
.
.

so we only have to add to every router these Adresse in its Subnet List,
	Router A -> Subnet=172.120.121.1/32
	Router B -> Subnet=172.120.121.2/32
	.
	.

The Networks on the different Locations now can direct routed to the
interface. Lets say Router A has a 10.100.20.0/24 where his clients-computers
are. He just adds
	route add -net 10.100.20.0/24 dev vpn
	( add add the subnet to his tinc conf)

Or he routes all private addresses to the interface:
	route add -net 10.0.0.0/8 dev vpn

This is IMHO a bit nicer than the examples on your page.

Versus OpenVPN there are some major gainings:
	- every router has ONE ip Adress in the whole vpn, so its easy to configure
		a correct DNS
	- every router only has to know his local config.
.
.
.

--
Dipl.-Inf. Univ. Florian Reitmeir                     http://net.multi24.com/

Josef-Schweinester-Str.1                              Tel: +43 526 266166
6412 St. Georgen / Austria                            Fax: +43 526 266166 -10