New config directive VpnMask

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Tue May 16 17:36:07 CEST 2000

On Tue, 16 May 2000, Mads Kiilerich wrote:

> I thought I was - but now I realize that tinc has two
> mailinglists... ;)

Uhm, three actually...

> I must admit that there is something regarding tinc I don't
> understand. I don't see why tinc needs to know the netmasks.
> tinc makes an encrypted point-to-point (but not ppp) connection,
> and anything regarding netmasks etc can be handled with ip
> routing, masquerading and netfilters. Is it because I understand
> tinc at the IP level while it can be used at lower levels for
> bridging as well?

Tinc is NOT a point-to-point connection at all anymore. You can consider
it a router (an OSI level 2 device). Nevertheless, the VpnMask is not used
by tinc (at least, not in cabal), it's only used for the boot scripts. The
netmask must be big enough to allow all packets for the entire network to
be accepted by the tap device (so that tinc can see them). The netmask set
by MyVPNIP however, tells the tinc network how big your subnet of
computers is.

> I've read the documentation but didn't find any explanation in
> it. IMHO the docs should be improved so that I -- and possibly other
> users -- can understand what I don't understand now. ;)

We'll work on that. Mail any question you have!

> It was/is my intention to read the docs again and then give some
> constructive criticism. But I haven't had the time for that yet,
> so now you've got it in a less-constructive way...

Oh, you should do so right away :)

> IMHO the solution is to use the same script for RedHat and
> Debian. Ivo has rewritten it to Perl, and maintaining the same
> script in two versions "doesn't scale" ;)

True. But since you're the RedHat expert, could you check it out? It might
not work in this form yet for Redhat. I beleive you already know where to
find it, but just in case: it's in the CVS tree, tinc/cabal/debian/init.d.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Guus Sliepen.

---
TINC development list, tinc-devel at nl.linux.org