[proposed fix] tinc has a security hole

Guus Sliepen guus at sliepen.warande.net
Tue Aug 29 11:57:25 CEST 2000

On Sun, 27 Aug 2000, Ivo Timmermans wrote:

> And while we're at it, why not just encrypt everything?

Yes :)

>   client                        server
> 1 connects to server
> 2                               accepts connection, send HELLO

HELLO? overhead. Just start directly sending a public key.

  2                               send PUBLIC_KEY
  3 send PUBLIC KEY

> From now on, everything can be encrypted.
> 5 send BASIC INFO

Yes, but BASIC_INFO still contains to much data. We should also use a
"hostname" for each tinc daemon, exchange those names, then the
passphrases to validate the names.

  4                               send hostname
  5 send hostname
  6                               send passhprase encrypted w. public key
  7 idem

Then verify, if something is wrong, close connection. Ofcourse, 6 and 7
might look a bit different if we use private/public keypairs instead of
passphrases.

  8                               send BASIC_INFO
  9 idem
 10 connected                     connected

  Guus Sliepen <guus at sliepen.warande.net>
See also: http://tinc.nl.linux.org/
          http://www.kernelbench.org/

---