[proposed fix] tinc has a security hole

Ivo Timmermans zarq at spark.icicle.yi.org
Sun Aug 27 16:44:25 CEST 2000

Ivo Timmermans wrote:
> Sending your passphrase encrypted is all fine, but tinc sends the key
> with which it was encrypted about a second later...

What about we establish a shared secret key like we normally do, and
then transmit the passphrase encrypted with the secret key?  I can't
remember why we did it the way it is...

And while we're at it, why not just encrypt everything?

like this:

  client                        server
1 connects to server
2                               accepts connection, send HELLO
3 send PUBLIC KEY
4                               send PUBLIC KEY

From now on, everything can be encrypted.

5 send BASIC INFO
6                               send BASIC INFO
7 send PASSPHRASE
8                               send PASSPHRASE
9 connected                     connected

--
Ivo Timmermans